When it comes to health and fitness nutrition plays a dominant role, even more than exercise and other physical activity. To become healthier, we have to eat healthier. One of the powerful ways we can improve our physical and mental health is by increasing the amount of nitric oxide in our bodies.
In the atmosphere, nitric oxide is considered a pollutant. However, in our bodies, nitric oxide is a powerful molecule that, among other things, signals our blood vessels to relax. This vasodilation, or expansion of our blood vessels increases the flow of blood, oxygen and nutrients to our tissues and organs. It also hastens waste removal from our cells. Nitric oxide has been shown to decrease blood pressure, improve circulation, improve mental acuity, accelerate fat loss, and even improve things in the bedroom. We can increase the amount of nitric oxide available in our bodies in a few ways; namely exercise, supplementation, and consuming foods rich in nitrogen and other nutrients like Arginine and Citrulline.
These NO boosting foods include:
- Nuts like Almonds, Pecans, Walnuts, as well as Pine nuts
- Meat including Beef, Pork and Chicken, liver is especially high in Citrulline
- Fish like Salmon,Trout, Tilapia and especially cold water fish like Tuna
- Dark Leafy Green Vegetables like Spinach, Collard Greens
- Beets and Beet Root
- Fruit like watermelon, which contains both Arginine and Citrulline
- Onions and Garlic both contain Arginine and Citrulline
- Legumes like Beans, Lentils, and Peanuts
- Chocolate - Yay!!!
I’ll talk about herbs and supplements that contain Arginine and Citrulline in upcoming posts. If you are looking for an increase in Nitric Oxide over and above what your diet contains, you can find nitric oxide supplements at Bodybuilding.com , SupplementsToGo.com and Vitamin Shoppe, as well as your local GNC retailer.